NIGERIAN TROOPS KILL 11 BOKO HARAM INSURGENTS IN GUNFIGHT

Saturday, January 28, 2012
Agence France-Presse
LAGOS

Nigerian troops killed 11 Boko Haram Islamists during a shootout Saturday in the northeastern city of Maiduguri, a stronghold of the group blamed for more than 200 deaths this year, the army said. A spokesman for the special military squad set up to crack down on Boko Haram confirmed the incident, and said no soldiers were hurt.

The operation came in response to a series of increasingly brazen attacks by Boko Haram that have tipped Nigeria into a security crisis. “Today, in an exchange of fire during a cordon-and-search operation conducted by the JTF, 11 Boko Haram members were killed,” Lieutenant Colonel Hassan Mohammed told AFP by telephone, referring to the army’s Joint Task Force unit.

Maiduguri, the capital of Borno state, has been hit hard by the Boko Haram insurgency,and was placed under a state of emergency on December 31 by President Goodluck Jonathan. The last reported clash between troops and Boko Haram in the city came on January 17, when suspected sect members opened fire on a military checkpoint.Three Islamists were killed in the ensuing gunfight, according to a JTF account.

The Islamists have in recent days struck further west, notably in Nigeria’s second city of Kano, where the group claimed a January 20 coordinated attack that killed at least 185. Security forces in Africa’s most populous nation and top oil producer have struggled to contain the Boko Haram menace. The insurgents seem to be able to strike at will in a country divided between a mainly Muslim north and mainly Christian south.

In Kano on Friday evening gunmen
suspected to be from Boko Haram killed at least one officer after opening fire on a police station, police said. The attack came at the start of a night-time curfew that has been in effect in the northern city since the January 20 assault that killed 185 people. Until those attacks, Kano had escaped the worst of Boko Haram’s attacks, and the daring, coordinated assaults that primarily targeted police stations in a major city highlighted the group’s renewed strength.

Boko Haram’s specific aims have largely remained unclear. It has previously said that it wants to
create an Islamic state in Nigeria’s deeply impoverished mainly Muslim north, and has charged the government with harassing Muslims and raiding Islamic schools.

The group was also blamed for coordinated attacks on Christmas Day, the most deadly at a Catholic Church near the capital Abuja, where at least 44 people were killed. But the group’s victims have also included scores of Muslims. Top Nigerian politicians have denied that the Boko Haram insurgency is being fuelled by religious tensions, linking the group to like-minded external Islamist groups such as Al-Qaeda.

Many analysts however doubt the strength of those links and say Boko Haram remains focused on a domestic agenda and is boosting its strength by exploiting religious tension within Nigeria. The group launched an uprising in 2009 that was put down by a brutal military assault. It fell dormant for about a year before re-emerging in 2010.

The purported head of Boko Haram, Abubakar Muhammad Shekau, threatened more violence in an audio recording recently posted on YouTube. He denied that the sect targets civilians and accused the government of torturing and illegally detaining Boko Haram members. Shekau has been seen by some as more eager to resort to violence than his predecessor, Mohammed Yusuf, who was killed by security forces in 2009

About these ads

About beegeagle

BEEG EAGLE -perspectives of an opinionated Nigerian male with a keen interest in Geopolitics, Defence and Strategic Studies
This entry was posted in AFRICA, AFRICAN ARMED FORCES, ARMED CONFLICT, BOKO HARAM ISLAMIC STATE MOVEMENT, BORDER SECURITY, COUNTERINSURGENCY OPERATIONS, GLOBAL DEFENCE NEWS, JOINT SECURITY TASK FORCE, MILITARY PHOTOS, NIGERIA, NIGERIA IMMIGRATION SERVICE, NIGERIA POLICE FORCE, NIGERIAN AIR FORCE, NIGERIAN ARMED FORCES, NIGERIAN ARMY, NIGERIAN MILITARY HISTORY, NIGERIAN NAVY, NIGERIAN PARAMILITARY FORCES, NIGERIAN SPECIAL FORCES, POLITICS, RELIGIOUS FUNDAMENTALISM, RISK ANALYSIS, SECURITY ISSUES AND CONCERNS, SPECIAL TASK FORCE, STATE SECURITY SERVICE, TERRORISM, URBAN GUERRILLA WARFARE, WEST AFRICAN STANDBY FORCE and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to NIGERIAN TROOPS KILL 11 BOKO HARAM INSURGENTS IN GUNFIGHT

  1. beegeagle says:

    MAIDUGURI, Nigeria Jan 28 (Reuters)

    Nigeria’s army killed 11 suspected Boko Haram insurgents during a gun battle at a checkpoint in the Islamist sect’s heartland of Maiduguri on Saturday, the field operations officer in the remote northeastern city said.

    Nigerian forces are reeling from a sharp uptick of increasingly sophisticated and coordinated attacks by Boko Haram. Human Rights Watch says it has killed hundreds of people since launching an uprising against the government in 2009, including an attack on the city of Kano that killed 186.

    “Eleven BH (Boko Haram) members have been shot dead by the JTF (joint military taskforce) in Maiduguri today, following a shootout with the sect members at a checkpoint in a stop and search operation,” field operations officer Colonel Victor Ebhamelehe said told Reuters. “One member of the sect who was wounded is receiving treatment at the hospital.”

    Boko Haram began as a clerical movement opposed to western cultural influences in Maiduguri, a dusty town in the northeast region bordering Chad, Niger and Cameroon, on the cusp of the Sahara. It has since spread to much of Nigeria’s north and has become the top security threat in Africa’s biggest oil producer.

    Suspected sect members attacked a police station in Mandwari, in north Nigeria’s Kano state, on Friday, police and witnesses said, leading to more than an hour of running gun battles that fatally wounded one policeman.

    “We lost one of our men in the attack in Mandwari inside the city. He is a corporal and he died on the way to hospital. The gunmen were repelled,” Kano police commissioner Ibrahim Idris told Reuters on Saturday.

    In an audio tape posted on the Internet on Thursday, the purported leader of Boko Haram, Abubakar Shekau, threatened to kill more security personnel and kidnap their families, and accused U.S. President Barack Obama of waging war on Islam, in an apparent effort to strike a chord with global jihadists.

    He denied that the group, which is loosely modelled on the Taliban, had been responsible for most of the civilian casualties in last Friday’s attack on Kano. Police say most of those casualities were shot dead by sect members.

  2. beegeagle says:

    THE NATION
    By Joseph Abiodun,
    Maiduguri
    29 January, 2012

    EXCERPTS:

    ELEVEN suspected members of the Boko Haram sect were yesterday shot dead by soldiers attached to the Joint Task Force (JTF) at a checkpoint in Maiduguri.

    The Nation learnt that the members of
    the dreaded sect were stopped at one of the checkpoints in the town by security agents but instead of stopping to be searched they engaged the security men in a gun battle.

    At the end of the duel which lasted several minutes, eleven suspected sect members were felled and one sustained serious injury. As at press time, the number of casualties recorded from the side of the security agencies could not be ascertained.

    Confirming the incident in a telephone
    interview with journalists, the Operations Officer of the JTF, Col. Victor Ebhaleme said: “I can confirm to you that the JTF have at the early hours of this morning (yesterday) during a gun battle shot dead 11 high profile Boko Haram members during the usual stop and search operation.”

    He added that “apart from the 11 shot dead, one of the sect members survived with bullet injuries and he is being attended to at the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital (UMTH).’’

    The Guardian of London reported the
    spokesman of the sect ,Abu Qada
    yesterday as saying they are now focusing on imposing the Sharia law on all parts of Nigeria and not just the North.And that is the only condition on which they can stop their current spate of bomb and gun attacks in the country. “One member of the sect who was wounded is receiving treatment at the hospital,” he said.

  3. gbash10 says:

    The best way to deal with Boko Haram is to go after them so that they will not have any hiding place in the same way the Isreali security operatives dealt with the Palestenians Second intefida(uprising )and are still going after them. The fact is that if you have a threat,it is either you go after the threat and neutralize it or it will come after you well prepared and take you off balance and neutralize you.This should be covert operations carried out by the Nigerian Armed Forces Special Forces,SSS(State Security Service),NIA(Nigerian Intelligence Agency),DIA(Defence Intelligence Agency),NSA(National Security Agency).and the Nigerian Police Counter-terrorism squad operatives.

  4. beegeagle says:

    OK, the same level of connivance and lies which sufficed during the Niger Delta insurgency is also underway here.

    At every twist and turn, apologists would have us believe that everyone who got shot or arrested was innocent whereas the insurgents themselves are unwittingly admitting that the security forces are doing their jobs thoroughly.

    As we write this, Abul Qaqa says that “OUR MEMBERS” are being trailed and killed while Paul Lubek knows from Califoria that it is innocent civilians who are getting killed.

    But the truth is that the onslaught against the culprits is almost certainly targeted at the real culprits.

    * After a meeting with ex-President Obasanjo in Sept. 2011, the late Babakura Fugu who spoke on behalf of the family of the slain BH leader stated that 40% of their members had fled the JSTF crackdown and gone into exile in Chad, Cameroon and Niger.

    * Reports gleaned from “Cameroon Post” stated clearly that BH insurgents fleeing an onslaught by the JSTF in Nigeria have sought refuge in and been spotted in several Cameroonian towns and cities – Kousseri, Mora, Maroua, Lagdo, Garoua, Dabanga and Douala, among others.

    * By their own admission, the Kano attacks were carried out with a view to putting pressure on the government to release their fellow BH members.

    * Yesterday, BH actually accepted the fact that these 11 insurgents who were shot by troops were members of their group but with the propagandist rider that they were unarmed at the time, even as the “Nation” newspaper confirmed that the opened fire on the troops at a checkpoint.

    * Here we go again. BH are threatening to attack Sokoto where a lot of their members have been arrested and kept in custody.

    YET, apologists and sympathizers seek to create the impression that the same troops who arrest the real culprits(as inadvertently confirmed by their spokesman) somehow manage to seize the right people but kill the wrong people.

    All of the foregoing goes to show the level of collaboration between the mostly lying local people, insurgents and their sympathizers and hirelings in the media.

    We are not fooled by all the mind games.

    NEWS REPORT;

    WE’LL ATTACK SOKOTO, BOKO HARAM WARNS SULTAN, TAMBUWAL, OTHER

    VANGUARD
    January 29, 2012
    BY NDAHI MARAMA
    MAIDUGURI

    ABUL-Qaqa, the spokesman of the Jama’atu Ahlis Sunnati Lidda’awati Wal Jihad, also known as Boko Haram, yesterday, alleged that security agents have arrested “many” of its members in Sokoto and called for their immediate release.

    He however, urged senior citizens in Sokoto and other neighbouring states to intervene in order to avert the replication of what he described as “the big attack in Kano State.” Qaqa, who spoke to journalists on phone yesterday said:

    “This is an open letter to the emir of Sokoto (Sultan of Sokoto) Alhaji Muhammad Sa’ad Abubakar 111, the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Alhaji Aminu Tambuwal and the Acting Governor of Sokoto State.

    “Before we visited Kano, we wrote open letter to senior citizens there on the imperative of releasing our members but nobody cares to talk. Indeed, we sent three warnings to Kano before we strike,” Qaqa said.

    “What happened in Kano will be inevitable in Sokoto unless you (Sultan and others) intervene and ensure the immediate and unconditional release of our members who were specifically arrested in the city of Sokoto on Thursday,” Qaqa said.

    Qaqa faulted the call for dialogue by President Goodluck Jonathan. “There is gross inconsistency in all the proclamations of the Nigerian leader. Our members are being trailed and killed on one hand, and on the other hand, some people are telling us to surrender our arms and come out. This is impossible,” he said.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s