CAPE TOWN, Jan. 6 (Xinhua)
South African President Jacob Zuma has
authorized the deployment of 400 South
African National Defense Force (SANDF)
personnel to the Central African Republic
(CAR) torn by a civil war, it was announced on Sunday.
The South African troops will render
support in fulfilment of an international
obligation of the Republic of South Africa
towards the CAR, the Presidency said.The troops’ mission will last from Jan. 2
this year to March 31, 2018.
The deployment is authorized in
accordance with the South African
Constitution, the Presidency said in a
statement. “The deployed members of the SANDF will assist with capacity building of the CAR Defense Force and will also assist CAR with the planning and implementation of the disarmament,demobilization and re-integration processes,” the statement said. “The deployment of members of the SANDF to CAR is one of the efforts that South Africa is making to bring about peace and stability in the region.”
The South African government has urged
armed groups in Central African Republic
(CAR) to immediately cease hostilities,
withdraw from captured cities and cease any further advances towards the city of Bangui. As the situation worsened in the CAR, Zuma earlier this year dispatched Defense and Military Veterans Minister Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula to the CAR to assess the situation there.
The South African government has said
that as a member of the African Union, it
rejects any attempt to seize power by
force, and therefore supports sanctions
and other measures against the
perpetrators of any unconstitutional change of government and their total
isolation. In their latest offensive, anti-government forces have taken several towns in the CAR without much resistance from ill-equipped government forces and were moving closer to the capital of Bangui.