ISLAMIST GROUP, ANSARU. CLAIMS RESPONSIBILITY FOR NIGERIA KIDNAP

18/02
by Aminu Abubakar
KANO, Nigeria (AFP)

Islamist group Ansaru on Monday claimed the kidnapping of seven foreigners in a deadly weekend raid on a construction site in restive northern Nigeria. The attack in Bauchi state late Saturday was one of the worst incidents targeting foreigners in northern Nigeria, a region that has seen waves of violence by extremist Islamist groups but relatively few kidnappings.

Ansaru is considered a new group with a
rising profile after it claimed the
abduction of a French national in
December. Some view it as being directly linked to Boko Haram, the Islamist insurgents blamed for killing hundreds of people in northern Nigeria since 2009.

In an email statement sent to journalists, Ansaru said it has “the custody of seven persons, which include Lebanese and their European counterparts working with Setraco,” the Lebanese-owned company targeted in the attack. Police in Bauchi said four Lebanese, one Briton, a Greek citizen and an Italian were among those taken hostage by gunmen who stormed the site in the town of Jama’are in Bauchi state. The assailants shot dead a security guard.

A Setraco official, who requested
anonymity, later told AFP that in fact the
Middle Eastern hostages included two
Lebanese and two Syrians. Beirut has said that only two of its nationals were
abducted.

Ansaru’s two-paragraph statement in
English cites “the transgressions and
atrocities done to the religion of Allah …
by the European countries in many places such as Afghanistan and Mali”. The group has previously protested
France’s efforts against Islamist rebels in Mali.

Residents in Jama’are, about 200
kilometres (125 miles) from the state
capital, said Setraco evacuated all its staff from the company compound on Sunday,and a company spokesman told AFP its road project had been stopped. “There is no way we will continue to work there because the lives of our colleagues are in danger,” John Ogbamgba said Monday. “We are all in tears.”

President Goodluck Jonathan urged
foreigners “to continue to go about their
normal business,” in a statement that
promised “a total commitment to
stamping out all forms of terrorism”. Expatriates have typically been kidnapped in Nigeria’s oil-rich south and often released following ransom payments. But such incidents in the north have been isolated and some analysts fear that Ansaru’s emergence may be a sign of changing tactics among the Islamist groups in the region. The Setraco spokesman said the firm was
especially concerned that the abductions
took place in the north, where “you don’t get information”.If the attack had occurred in the south, “maybe there would be a ransom demand”, Ogbamgba said.

Aside from the French national abducted
in December whose whereabouts remain unknown, the three others Westerners kidnapped in the north since 2011 have all been killed. They include a German engineer abducted last year as well as a Briton and an Italian seized in 2011, in an attack the British government linked to Ansaru. Britain declared the group a terrorist organisation in November.Some experts say that Ansaru’s leader may be Khalid al-Barnawi, one of three Nigerian extremists labelled a “global terrorist” by the United States last year,saying he had ties to Al-Qaeda’s north African affiliate.

The governments of Greece and Italy have confirmed that their citizens were among those taken hostage. British Foreign Secretary William Hague said Monday that London was in touch with Nigerian authorities but did not confirm that a Briton was among the hostages.

Nigeria is Africa’s most populous country and top oil producer, roughly divided between a mainly Muslim north and mostly Christian south. Boko Haram has said it is fighting to create an Islamic state in the north and its insurgency is estimated to have left 3,000 people dead since 2009, including killing by the security services.

About these ads

About beegeagle

BEEG EAGLE -perspectives of an opinionated Nigerian male with a keen interest in Geopolitics, Defence and Strategic Studies
This entry was posted in ARMED CONFLICT, BOKO HARAM ISLAMIC STATE MOVEMENT, BORDER SECURITY, COUNTERINSURGENCY OPERATIONS, GLOBAL DEFENCE NEWS, JOINT SECURITY TASK FORCE, NIGERIA, NIGERIA POLICE FORCE, NIGERIAN ARMED FORCES, NIGERIAN MILITARY HISTORY, RISK ANALYSIS, SECURITY ISSUES AND CONCERNS, STATE SECURITY SERVICE, TERRORISM and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s