NIGERIAN ARMY CORPS OF ENGINEERS
Organisation of the NAE
The current structure of the NAE is
derived from NA ORBAT 96, and the
various ammendments implemented in
line with AHQ policy directives. The NAE is organized as follows.
* HQ Nigerian Army Engineers
HQ NAE coordinates and manages the
affairs of the Corps. The HQ is located in
Bonny Cantonment, Lagos.
* Nigerian Army School of Military Engineering
NASME is responsible for training of the
officers and soldiers of the Corps. It also
encompasses the Institute of Technology
and Environmental Studies which is
equivalent to a Polytechnic.
* Directorate of Army Works (DAW).
DAW plans, executes and coordinates all
major projects being handled by the
* Directorate of Army Real Estate (DARE)
DARE takes custody and manages all NA
fixed assets all over the nation.
* FIVE Divisional Engineers formations (each equivalent to a brigade), one each to a maneouvre division. These provide engineering support to the maneuver divisions.
Each Div Engrs is composed of
– HQ Garrison – (Squadron-sized)
– 1 X Field Engineers Regiment
– 1 X Support Engineers Regiment
– 1 X Div Engr Admin Squadron
– Cantonment M’ntenance Groups (CMGs)
– Barracks Maintenance Groups(BMGs)
The number of CMGs and BMGs depends on the number of cantonments and barracks within the division area of responsibility.
* Directorate of Army Mapping and
DAMS is saddled with the task of surveying and mapping of NA lands. The
Directorate also produces maps of any
area within Nigeria. It is composed of Field Survey Unit and a Mapping Unit.
*Engineers Construction Regiment (ECR).
ECR is responsible for the execution of
major engineering projects in the NA
* Army HQ Engr Maint Group(AHQ EMG)
AHQ EMG is responsible for the
maintenance of all cantonments and
barracks under the AHQ Garrison.
* Engineer Search and Disposal Unit(ESADU)
ESADU is responsible for the disposal of
any unexploded bombs or improvised
explosive devices that may occur within
(Culled 26 August, 2010 from the now inaccessible Nigerian Army Engineers website)