CHANNELS TELEVISION, LAGOS
28 January, 2013
The dreaded Boko Haram sect has declared ceasefire after allegedly holding talks with “officials of Borno State Government and leaders of thought from the state”.
“I am announcing this ceasefire with
the approval and consent of the leader
Sheikh Abubakar Shekau. We,therefore, call on all our members to stop all acts of violent immediately and await further directives,” said Sheikh Abdul Aziz, who introduced himself as the second in command to Mr. Shekau. Reports say the group declared the ceasefire in Maiduguri at about 3:00 p.m. on Monday.
However,the Special Adviser to the state governor on Media, Isa Gusau, in a telephone interview with Channels
Television, said he could not confirm
the meeting between the Borno State
government and the Boko Haram sect. Mr. Gusau maintained though that the
government has been working on several ways to ensure that the crisis
Sect To Surrender Arms
Sheik Abdul Aziz urged the Joint Task
Force and other security agents to
reciprocate the ceasefire announcement as it takes immediate effect. On the mode of the ceasefire, the second in command said talks with government officials on how to surrender the arms are also ongoing and urged members of the sect nationwide to cooperate fully.
The sect had earlier announced ceasefire with much stiff conditions in
the recent past as security and
government officials rejected such
Reasons And Conditions For Ceasefire
He said the adoption of the ceasefire
is because of the hardships women and children are subjected to and urged members to abide by the directive of the ceasefire and to extend same to others yet to be aware of the development. He also demanded that detained members of the sect be released and the destroyed mosque of its late leader, Mohammed Yusuf, rebuilt as a condition for the ceasefire.