Jan. 31 (Xinhua)
The African Union-United Nations Mission in Darfur (UNAMID) urged all parties to allow full access by UN and humanitarian bodies to affected populations in Sudan’s western region of Darfur, a UN spokesman told reporters here Thursday.
“UNAMID reports that access to many
parts of the Jebel Marra area remains
blocked due to sporadic clashes between government forces and armed
movements,” Eduardo del Buey, the
deputy UN spokesman, said at a daily news briefing here. “UNAMID continues to urge all parties to allow full access to affected populations everywhere in Darfur, by the Mission, UN agencies and humanitarian partners,” he said.
The current humanitarian situation in the region emerged earlier this month as a result of clashes between the Abbala and Beni Hussein tribes over gold mines in the Jabel Amir area, resulting in a mass displacement of some 70,000 people and more than 100 deaths, according to government figures. In addition to the casualties, the fighting,
which reportedly erupted on Jan. 5,
resulted in looting, burning of nearby
villages, and the displacement of
thousands of civilians forced to flee
toward Kabkabiya, Saraf Omra and Al Sereif towns.
“While remaining strongly committed to
help protect civilians in Darfur as mandated by the (UN) Security Council,
the Mission underscores that the
government of Sudan is primarily
responsible for the protection of civilians and the maintenance of peace and security in the country,” del Buey said. “UNAMID also reiterates its call to all parties to cease fighting, and it remains engaged in facilitating reconciliation efforts,” he added.