February 26, 2013
Regional Editor, North
A top Boko Haram commander was
Tuesday killed in a morning raid carried out by snipers deployed from the Joint Task Force, Operation Restore Hope, Maiduguri, the Borno State capital.
The BH kingpin and his lieutenants are
said to have crossed from Kano State to Borno some weeks ago and had been carrying out series of attacks on JTF patrol vehicles and locations as well as the bombing of many places in the state.
However,the four men and their fighters ran out of luck when soldiers from the JTF confronted them in a gun duel following a tipoff on their location, which was traced to the Kasuwan Kaji area of the metropolis. The battle was taken by the soldiers to the insurgents between the hours of 2am and 5.50 am on Monday when the fighters were still enjoying their sleep.
On arriving at the location, the JTF were said to have cordoned off the area and
carried out checks on suspected houses and business premises during which the kingpins reportedly opened fire on the soldiers without knowing that they were in for a rough deal.
The Spokesman for the JTF, Lt. Col. Sagir Musa, confirmed the raid on the BH hideout and the death of its commander and three of his lieutenants during the raid. Musa also said that three other BH
fighters arrested by soldiers during the raid, had been detained in their custody and were undergoing interrogation.
“The notorious BH commander and three of his lieutenants lost their lives
in an exchange of fire while three were arrested by the JTF and are undergoing interrogation in JTF custody.
“Items recovered from the terrorists
included: three AK- 47 rifles, two dane guns, three magazines, 36 rounds of 7.62 mm special ammunition, two bows and 18 arrows and assorted IED materials,” Musa said.