ABUJA, Dec. 12 (Xinhua)
The Boko Haram sect in Nigeria on Thursday claimed responsibility for an attack launched on a military base in Maiduguri, capital of northeastern Borno State, of which some aircraft were destroyed and buildings were razed on Dec. 2.
In a 19-minute recorded message that was made available to journalists here, a man who claimed to be leader of the sect said the attack was coordinated by its members. “We stormed the city and fought them (and) Allah blessed us with lots of booty,” said the man who posed as Abubakar Shekau, leader of the sect who was reportedly killed in a gunfight with security operatives in late July.
This development raised doubts about the veracity of the video. Recorded in the local Hausa language of the northern people of Nigeria, the video
also showed images of razed buildings and destroyed aircraft done by the sect members.
On the day of the incident, Nigeria’s
military authorities confirmed that 24
insurgents had died during an exchange of gunfire between security forces and suspected terrorists in a pre- dawn attack on Maiduguri.
A statement from Chris Olukolade, the
Director of Defense Information, said the Nigerian security forces repelled the attack targeting military locations, including the Nigerian Air Force Base in the Borno State capital. Three decommissioned military aircraft as well as two helicopters were also incapacitated in the course of the attack, the military mouthpiece added.
Seeking to enshrine the Islamic sharia law into the constitution and declaring war against Western education, the Boko Haram sect has proved the biggest security threat in the West African country since launching its insurgency in 2009.
Last month, Boko Haram and Ansaru, a splinter group from the main sect, were named as international terrorist
organizations by the U. S. government. Thousands of people, including women and children, have been killed in the four-year insurgency.