NIGERIAN MILITARY KILL 25 INSURGENTS IN GUN BATTLE. AIRSTRIKE AT BAMA

Counterinsurgency troops at Baga

An Army Special Forces commando leads a squad of counterinsurgency troops in Borno

ABUJA, Dec. 13 (Xinhua)

At least 25 people were feared killed when the military in northeast Nigeria’s Borno State engaged gunmen, suspected to be Boko Haram members, in an armed conflict, sources said in Maiduguri, the state capital, on Friday.

The gunmen launched an attack on
Ngauramari Village in Bama local
government area of the northern state on Thursday, but the security operatives on guard repelled the attack, killing 25 of the insurgents during a gun duel and an airstrike, a military source told Xinhua.

“Three of the insurgents who came from their hideout in the Sambisa Game Forest were killed in a gunfight. But others were killed in airstrike by the military,” the security source said.

Sule Abdullahi, a resident of the village returning from his farm, told a reporter that at least 22 bodies were found in bushes in the area on Friday morning. According to him, the fleeing gunmen were killed while trying to cross a river in Bama-Firgi-Gwoza area. “They were probably killed with the military’s fighter jet,” Abdullahi added.

The Boko Haram sect had coordinated
deadly attacks in Bama- Firgi-Gwoza area of the state in the past, with the most recent being the killing of at least five people on Sunday when some gunmen ambushed road users on a federal highway.

Military spokesperson in the state,
Mohammed Dole, confirmed Thursday’s incident but said the 7 Division of the Nigerian Army was compiling its report on it before issuing a statement.

On Monday, the Nigerian Security Adviser (NSA), Col. Sambo Dasuki, launched a new strategy and change of tactics in fighting the Boko Haram insurgency in the attack-prone northeastern region, with a view to
finally put an end to the reign of terror in the West African country.

Based in Borno State, the Boko Haram
sect, which proves to be the biggest
security threat in the West African
country, had claimed responsibility for
several attacks in which more than 1, 500 people, including women and children had been killed since 2009 when it launched violent attacks in northern Nigeria.

Irked by the carnage, the military had
recently intensified its fight against the sect. Last Monday, the military authorities confirmed that 24 insurgents died during an exchange of fire between security forces and suspected terrorists in a pre-dawn attack on Maiduguri.

Boko Haram seeks to enshrine the Islamic Sharia law into the constitution and declared war against Western education in Nigeria.

About beegeagle

BEEG EAGLE -perspectives of an opinionated Nigerian male with a keen interest in Geopolitics, Defence and Strategic Studies
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to NIGERIAN MILITARY KILL 25 INSURGENTS IN GUN BATTLE. AIRSTRIKE AT BAMA

  1. Henry says:

    EXERCISE TSARON TEKU INAUGURATED BY THE CHIEF OF THE NAVAL STAFF
    Posted: 2013-12-13 12:28:44

    The Chief of the Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Dele Joseph Ezeoba has inaugurated the planning conference for an Exercise code –named  “TSARON TEKU” at the conference room of the Naval Headquarters Abuja on 13 December 2013.

    In his brief remark before declaring the deliberations open, the CNS who was represented by the Chief of Policy and Plans of the Naval Headquarters, Rear Admiral Emmanuel Ogbor welcomed the representatives of the five (5) participating countries namely, Cameroun, Togo, Ghana, Benin Republic and Nigeria to the brief. He then emphasised the need for affected countries in the sub region to look inwards in solving issues of maritime insecurity rather than always relying on foreign assistance. The CNS described the proposed exercise as commendable and urged all participants to contribute meaningfully to the deliberations so as to ensure a successful exercise.

    Giving a presentation on the Exercise Scenario, Captain MM Bashir stated that Exercise “TSARON TEKU” which in Hausa language means “Protection of the Sea” is aimed at curbing smuggling, illegal bunkering, piracy, poaching and hijacking in the Gulf of Guinea. Nigerian forces expected to take part in the Exercise are NNS THUNDER, NNS ZARIA,NNS BURUTU, NNS OLOGBO, 2 Nigerian Navy Agusta Helos, Nigerian Army and the Nigerian Air Force. Similarly, other participating countries will be expected to contribute 2 Ships each for the Exercise.

    The Exercise which is expected to take place in the last week of February 2014, will involve several manouvores like anti-piracy, anti-illegal bunkering and search and rescue amongst many others. The Exercise will stretch from Ghanian waters to Cameroonian waters.

    Also speaking at the inauguration, the Director of Operations of the Naval Headquarters, Rear Admiral JO Okojie emphasised the fact that Exercise TSARON TEKU will create opportunities for West African navies to work together and thus enhance collaboration in solving the issues facing the Gulf of Guinea.      

    • peccavi says:

      Unless theres a dedicated Anti Bunkering Section of the EFCC and Ministry of Justice with special courts to speedily try the kingpins all this one na tory

      • igbi says:

        Is this an other “victory” for boko haram ? It is funny you are not commenting this. So I ask again, is the killing of scores of boko haram terrorists an other “victory” for boko haram ? And was that the boko haram “initiative” ?

  2. rka says:

    2 Mali UN peace keepers killed. I’m on a roll.

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-25379618

  3. rka says:

    @Oga Beeg, I was just going through the Skyscrapercity Forum and came across this posting by TBITE. It could well be the JF-17 may appear in 2014, although Nigeria wasn’t mentioned directly, it said “and other friendly countries.
    http://thediplomat.com/2013/10/pakistan-to-begin-exporting-jf-17-thunder-fighter-jets/

  4. Colonel says:

    Does anybody have any information on this??

    From Ndi Igbo facebook page:
    Hunger Hits Boko Haram Members.
    **56 of them Caught While Searching For Food.
    **Massive starvation has hit the terrorists as soldiers has cut off their supply routes.
    **rocket-propelled gun chargers, AK-47 rifles, bomb detonators, camouflage and other military uniforms recovered from them.

    About 56 members of the Islamic terror group, Boko Haram has been rounded up by the Military Joint Task Force (JTF) around Daban Masara village in Borno state while searching for food.

    The Islamists have been hit with severe hunger because most of them has ran out of food. In continuation of the onslaught on the terrorists, the army has cut of their supply routes and others groups are surrounded by the troops.

    The Boko Haram members were moving in a Toyota Land Cruiser Jeep with registration number Borno XA 428 ADM, seven other vehicles and eight tricycles when the villagers alerted the JTF for their arrest.

    Recovered Items!
    1] AK-47 rifles.
    2] single-barrel shotgun,
    3] double-hand shotgun.
    4] various calibres of arms.
    5] seven packs of Improvised Explosive Devices (IED).
    6] 2 rocket-propelled gun chargers.
    7] 2 machetes,
    8] bomb detonators.
    9] camouflage and other military uniforms.

    The Director of Defence Information, Brigadier-General Chris Olukolade said that “the intensive cordon and search operation being conducted by the troops of the Special Forces received a major boost from civilian cooperation in communities close to locations being focused in the operation”. – HFN

    • jimmy says:

      There is confirmation that the air strikes have been punishing with bh resorting to open theft at market places and hospitals.as incredulous as this may seem it would be a great humit for sf to take up residences in market places and hospitals T-Mobile. America’s First Nationwide 4G Network

      • freeegulf says:

        oga jimmy, the SF commanders need to be given a free hand to combat these miscreants. with some initiative and a bit of ingenuity, these guys will become the worse nightmare of the BH terrs

    • peccavi says:

      Is there a date or original article please?

    • beegeagle says:

      Colonel sir, this reads like gist from May 2013. Not only did something of this nature happen, It is made more apparent by the fact that the JTF has ceased to exist in Borno since August.

  5. Major says:

    Thanks beegle for the outstanding work you are doing. Checking through the promotion list released by the promotion council. Brig. Gen T.C UDE was among those promoted to the rank of a Maj.Gen. He is the Commander 41 DIV ENG of the 1 DIV Kaduna. He is also in charge of internal security in Kaduna and his troops were the ones who recovered weapons from a politician in March. His command has ensured relative peace in Kaduna. He was involved in the Bakassi Peninsula. He was recently the Deputy Chairman of the Selection Board of SSC candidates in Kaduna recently. Really want more on his profile because I see him as an officer who will be a GOC when new postings are done. I also heard that Maj. Gen Emeka Onwuamaegbu has retired. He was a good soldier.

  6. Solorex says:

    Its nice that the military has shake off the shame of the Airbase attack and are responding to restore confidence. However, there are too many of them, killing them in dozens weekly won’t solve the problem. They have also metamorphosed into loosely bonded bandit groups with little or no central supervisory structure, meaning they will become increasingly uncontrollable, be more daring and foment small troubles often. The most recent disturbing trend is conscription( forcing youths to join their ranks and proceeding to brainwash/drug/threaten or abuse extensively as necessary to keep conscript loyalty) system now used by the group.

    We need a long term sustained tactics ( say for the next 4-6 years) to reduce this insurgency to nothing. The tactics has to involve massive regular police deployment ( retraining will be necessary),better intel sharing and several rapid response squad with helix back up. If Boko Haram fighters realize that for every village attacked there will bean immediate counter attack in hours which will lead to severe losses, they will cut down on the attack drastically and be more disposed to peaceful resolution.

    Most of the times, it is how horrible the sight of the stick is that makes “Carrot and Stick” approach work, not how juicy the carrot is!

    • freeegulf says:

      it is the more reason why the air force needs to activate more aircraft in its fleet. with LUH and LAH, they could easily drop air assault forces right on top of the marauding insurgents and wipe them out.
      without proper intel and rapid reaction to insurgent activities, it will be hard to contain the smaller fragmented cells of these terroristas.

      its quite shocking that NAF cant see through this and induct light helos for transport and attack, in addition to UAVs and light aircraft. air surveillance and constant patrol will further impede the freedom of movement of these miscreants and denigrate their capabilities in the tri states of the NE

      this same approach also need to be introduced to the plateau highlands to arrest the fulani herders and their genocidal methods

    • peccavi says:

      Oga Solorex na so we dey talk since. But we need to know where they are to it them and trackers wont be everywhere at once, hence my belief the only way to beat BH is to go low tech, old school, infantry on their asses (backed up of course by helis and artillery).
      The concept of perpetual retaliation is what the Israelis rely on in their conventional and asymmetric wars. the South Africans again were past masters. The Koevet were so confident/ arrogant that apocryphally they didnt post sentries on as hey knew that SWAPO knew they would be on their tracks immediately after any attack.
      And true true whenever SWAPO attacked they immediately ran as fast as possible for the border.
      The professional confidence/ arrogance of Koevet might be tempered slightly by the fact that the SWAPO fighters had walked thousands of kilometres to get to the operational area in the first place, carrying all their kit, and had to walk back as well, so were almost invariably exhausted, husbanding strength for the walk back and limited in how much ammo they could carry and how many men they could muster.
      The corollary of that is that the reason SWAPO had to walk such long distances and break down into such small numbers were the highly effective border control and counter infiltration methods of the Boers.
      And this was in the time before drones and other sexy stuff

  7. ifiok umoeka says:

    I hope u remember that a well place hit from an AK will bring a 109 down?

  8. ocelot2006 says:

    ‘glad to see that our NAF pilots are racking up hours in CAS roles. That said, any more news on Nigeria’s Tucano purchase? I can’t wait for those babies to hit our skies.

  9. Henry says:

    Oga Igbi calm down, and be rational.

  10. freeegulf says:

    oga ifiok, although these aircraft are light, successful operations all depends on tactics.
    going in hot, it will be foolish to send in a single helo. a better tactics will be deployment of two helos, one provides supressive fire, cover, while the other does its task. with this buddy buddy tactics, survival will not simply be down to an AK47 round.
    of course, there’s always a lucky round, but that same lucky round has brought down an apache

  11. Solorex says:

    Whatever is worth procuring is what procuring well, light helix are easier to maintain, cheaper to run and to replace in case of a loss. However, we know this guys have lots of RPGs, and a few Anti Air craft guns mounted on pickups and they still have lots of ground troop( albeit not well trained) that can overwhelm one or two helix with small arms fire, so we should not use light helix for the purpose of rapid response irrespective of the tactics.

    We need to step up and get an agreement between AESTL and Mil ( similar to what Denel in SA has for core maintenance and pilot training) and proceed to procure 2-3 dozens of Upgraded Mi24/28 with Night hunting capability all stationed in a number of fortified locations out of the reach of the insurgent. It should be a long term plan having procurement-maintenance-upgrade-pilot training in mind. When we are done with insurgency-we can re-optimize them for anti armor role which they are original build for

    I also believe that for the purpose of close integration and tight planning, Army Aviation should be expanded greatly, helix flights for COIN operation should be largely an Army Affair.

    Finally talking about tactics; I wonder why we have not been doing a lot of “night hunting” this is a tactic which worked in Iraq, Afghanistan and Chechnya ( these are the places where we have seen good success against a very organized and deeply armed insurgents). I am also waiting to see the establishment of joint military-police patrol extended to core villages-if we come up with a 200 armored patrol scheme for 50 villages-station 4 APCs, 20 soldiers in 50 Villages on semi permanent basis. It would cost a fortune, but it is worth it.

    • peccavi says:

      I hear you on the vulnerability of Light Helis to AA (less so RPG’s as they are quite small and manoeuvrable) but Mis, Apaches, Tigers etc are essentially tank hunters and although they are awesome close support platforms, (particularly the Mi’s), it is a waste of resource to use them in this context. A fleet of light helicopters, that are to
      fuel, fly and maintain, that can land in fields, roads etc, that are highly manoeuvrable and can fly low are better than dedicated Attack Helis in this context.
      They consume less fuel, are less tiring to fly, better all round visibility, smaller profile.
      The US and Nigeria are in talks right now, we would hope they are taking a long hard look at the retiring Kiowas

  12. freeegulf says:

    welldone gen peccavi. lets see what the americans would agree to give and sell from their surplus stocks

  13. Tope says:

    Oga BEEG, have u heard about da GULAM, President Jonathan Unvieled it today, its supposed to be a Made in Nigeria UAV Made by da AFIT now is this Different than the Amebo Drones? or it was Renamed? Do you have any Info on it pls share more light Sir.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s