Nigerian Army troops prepare to deploy for operations in Borno
LAGOS, March 1 (Xinhua)
Nigerian troops killed 13 Boko Haram members and arrested 15 others during a raid on their makeshift camp between two northeastern states suffering most from the Islamist group’s attacks, a defense official said Friday.
“Many terrorists have been arrested, while 13 of them died following a raid on their makeshift camp”, Major General Chris Olukolade said in a statement, adding that some of those escaping from earlier raid have also been captured in Maiduguri and surrounding areas. The offensive came after suspected Boko Haram militants shot or burned to death dozens of students at a boarding school in Yobe state.
Boko Haram, declared a terrorist
organization by Nigeria and the United
States, has said it is fighting to create an Islamic state in Nigeria’s mainly Muslim north. It launched bouts of attacks in the country’s northeast states of Borno, Yobe and Adamawa, claiming more than 400 lives in the past three months. The insurgents have in the past targeted churches, security facilities, schools and villages, causing heavy civilian casualties.
Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan declared a state of emergency in the three states last year in an attempt to curb the insurgency.