Men of the Police Bomb Disposal Unit
PHOTO CREDIT: DEMOTIX/AYEMOBA GODSWILL
NEWS AGENCY OF NIGERIA
2 May, 2014
The police on Friday confirmed that 19 people died and 60 others injured in Thursday’s bomb blast at Nyanya in the FCT.
The police spokesman, CSP Frank Mba,confirmed the figure at a news conference at Nyanya, the scene of the incident. The spokesperson of the Department of State Services (DSS), Marilyn Ogar, and an official of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), attended the briefing.
Mba said that six others apart from the 60 injured had been treated and discharged. He also said three unexploded Improvised Explosive Devices(IEDs)were recovered from the scene, adding that they had been rendered safe.
“Investigations are ongoing and we
appeal to the citizens to rally round the security forces at this critical point in our history. “It will take the unity of all of us to defeat terror,’’ Mba said, and declined comment on whether any arrest had been made.“I will not speak at this stage on ongoing investigations but investigations are ongoing and we will give facts when it is right to do so.’’
Also, Ogar, DSS spokesperson, said the
cooperation of all Nigerians was required to win the war against terrorism.“We must take our security into our hands because the security agencies cannot do it all alone,it must be collective. “The call here is for all Nigerians to rally round security agencies, it is not a time to say they are not doing what they are supposed to do.
“The number of security personnel in the country is very small compared to the population, rally round us through
information, no information is useless,’’ Ogar appealed.
The News Agency of Nigeria recalls that Mba had given a casualty figure of 12 dead and 19 wounded on Thursday,shortly after the explosion. He, however, described those figures as “provisional’’.