Nigerian troops and a T72 M1 tank on the road to recapture BAGA in February 2015
NEWS AGENCY OF NIGERIA
28 September 2015
The Defence Headquarters has renewed the commitment of the Armed Forces to continue with coordinated offensive against Boko Haram insurgents until they were decimated in line with the directive of Mr President. The Defence Spokesman, Col. Rabe Abubakar, said this in a statement issued in Abuja on Monday.
Abubakar said the offensive would be designed in such a way that the insurgents would not be given any opportunity to regroup for any attacks on innocent citizens.He said necessary steps had been taken by the relevant authorities to implement the directive and actualise the objective of dismantling all terrorists’ enclaves in the shortest possible time.
“The Nigerian Armed Forces have renewed commitment to continue the ongoing coordinated joint assaults on Boko Haram in the North East until the operations of the guerrillas are totally impaired and collapsed.
“To this end, the coordinated operation of the security forces in the contested area would intensify because the masquerading guerrillas should not be given any breathing space to regroup and re-strategise their campaign.
“The recent deployment of the 7 Brigade of the Multinational Joint Task Force (MNJTF) in the Lake Chad Basin would ensure a total blockade of possible escape routes in the area to forestall further infiltration of the terrorist elements into the country and its neighbours,’’ the statement said.
The statement warned terrorists still involved in the wanton destruction of property in remote areas to stop their mindless acts of violence and embrace peace.
Security forces have in recent operations captured some number of the terrorists’ enclaves while many of their fighters have been killed with many others surrendering to troops.